02 November, 2009

Another kind of 'recycling'...

Last weekend we adopted two dogs from the border collie rescue orgs out in Phelan.

Gwyn:

She's a border collie mix, about one year old.  Gwyn was rescued by Border Collies in Need from a kill shelter in Kern County - now she lives the life of leisure at our house.  I can't believe anyone would willingly give up this dog; she is just about the most friendly, sweetest and well behaved dog I've ever seen.  Certainly she's not gonna be much of a watchdog, unless you count licking intruders to death...

Most of the time, Gwyn likes to keep herself busy chasing her new puppy buddy, Milly:



Milly is a rambunctious 12 week old girl.  She was the only female in a litter of 8 border collies - 7 brothers, so she's the bride, Milly <7 brides for 7 brothers...?   we didn't pick the name, just relating how she got it :)>.  Anyways, she was in a house w/6 adult dogs and the animal protection people were called in.  The owners had to give up all the puppies and 2 adults, which is where Border Collie Rescue of California came in.

We were really lucky; the day we went out to view Gwyn, both rescue organizations were there, so we got one dog from each one.  Unfortunately, it looks like one of them had a fire yesterday http://www.highdesert.com/news/animals-15300-vvdailypress-blaze-phelan.html  - Not 100% sure, but the pic sure looks like :(

So... what do my new puppies have to do w/NotYetTrash?  Well, it just seemed like only a bit of stretch to consider rescuing a puppy from "the trash", aka the shelter, and giving it a new home, as fitting my topic here.

Admittedly the little cute monsters have put my projects on the back burner a bit, although I have managed to get some of my beads done - here they are before painting.

I think they look a bit like turds here, but the girls thought they were cool.
Btw, done is relative, I have a few painted and I'm experimenting w/different things.


I also varnished the box and one of the weaved projects - very cool and thanks to my good friend Suzanne for suggesting a matte finish - it's great!  I can't wait to make another one; I have a few ideas on how to make it easier to weave next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment